Getting rid of constipation is not a hard task but it does take patience and perseverance. The best way to get rid constipation is really to avoid it.
So you can’t avoid being constipated. What is constipation?
What is constipation
Constipation is a physical condition in which the bowels have difficulty evacuating or do not evacuate at all. Slow or bowels that don’t move at all can lead to an impactment of fecal matter in the colon.
Constipation generally has hard feces associated due to low water levels. The arid and firm texture of feces that have not moved properly contribute to discomfort and continued constipation.
Why does constipation occur?
Constipation can originate from many sources, the most common being poor hydration/nutrition or a bowel obstruction.
It has been noted that diets low in fiber are reported in an overwhelming majority of the cases when queried by a medical professional. This is most prevalent in chronic cases of constipation.
Situational dietary intake can lead to temporary constipation. For instance, some people have this reaction when they consume too much cheese or foods with high contents of oils and animal fats.
Another factor that presents in chronic sufferers is inadequate levels of fluids, particularly water. The human body is composed mostly of water. Enough water needs to be consumed on a daily basis to keep the body hydrated. When we consume water it gets absorbed through the lining of the stomach and intestines.
Constipation, while a condition in and of itself, is often an indicator of major systemic deficiencies. In chronic cases, this means the body is constantly in a deficient state and keeps trying to correct itself. Acute cases general arise from some more current cause and are usually easier to reverse.
Many cases of constipation present when a woman is pregnant. This is a non-threatening form of bowel obstruction. This is most often attributed to the increasing size of the uterus. As the fetus grows the uterus impinges the bladder and lower bowels. Lots of urinating but difficulty moving bowels is a common complaint.
Prevention vs Cure
A diet that is high in fiber rich foods aids in proper bowel evacuation. The diet should include healthy levels of water and fluids to prevent fecal dehydration which can make constipation a very uncomfortable matter to resolve.
Preventing constipation is a lot easier than trying to recover from it. However the same methods used to prevent can be used to cure. There are over the counter products that can be used to get rid of constipation by softening feces or causing the bowel to spasm enough to push the feces through with out excessive pushing and pressure.
Natural ways to relieve constipation
While there are more than enough pharmaceuticals to aid in getting rid of constipation, there are also several natural ways to relieve constipation as well as constipation home remedies, like ingesting castor oil.
Many of these tips have been around for hundreds of years. Before pharmaceuticals became a part of every day life humans had to solve problems, like how to get rid of constipation, with the ingredients found in nature. In fact the pharmaceutical remedies that are available now are based on old concepts and recipes that were originally constructed from nature available ingredients.
How to get rid of constipation fast?
For some reason or another you find yourself constipated and want to know how to get rid of it fast.
First and foremost, if your constipated condition lasts for more than a day after trying any remedy it is advisable to visit your family physician. The reason for caution is this. The majority of constipation is a diet and lifestyle derivative, however there are medical conditions that can cause constipated bowels. If a a bowel impactment becomes an issue your physician is the best person to help you deal with that.
Here is a list of Constipation Home Remedies that you can try to help relieve your constipation.
- Coffee- Coffee has oils in it that work with the caffeine as a stimulant for urinating and defecating.
- Baking Soda- Baking soda has been used for a very long time for many home remedies including constipation. If you have ever done the vinegar and baking soda experiment, you can probably imagine what’s going to happen on the inside
- Yogurt- The intestinal tract is filled with millions of bacteria and it can be imbalanced during constipation and this too will contribute to discomfort and unhealthy bowel functions. Eat some yogurt. They have recently started putting probiotics in yogurt to assist healthy digestion
- Epsom Salt- Has long been in the home remedy cabinet. When mixed with water produces a laxative effect which will of course get things moving.
Here is a list of Natural Ways to Relieve Constipation and aid in digestion and proper bowel functions.
- Olive oil and lemon juice, a mixture of this will cause laxative action
- Dandelion Tea long promoted as a digestion aid
- Flax seed oil used similarly to olive oil again produces a much needed laxative effective
- Aloe Vera pulp or juice has high levels of fiber and water
- And, don’t forget the dried fruit. Dried fruit deliver more fiber in a smaller tastier package than a fiber cake.
Back to Prevention vs Cure
You’ve had it and treated it, let’s not do that again. The following is a lifestyle guideline to help you avoid this situation in the future. Even situational constipation will be seen rarely.
If you are already constipated:
- Over hydrate-the main by-product of constipation is very desiccated fecal matter. The longer the feces stays in the colon without moving the more water the body absorbs until the feces is extremely dry also contributing to the difficulty in passing it.
- Fiber is key. Eat a fiber rich food like applesauce, or green salad with a meal or alone. It is recommended to eat this food intermingled with the other food on your plate or eat it after you eat what is on your plate. The reason being, the fiber will trigger the intestines to spasm (squeeze and release) and push its contents along. One great trick for correcting and maintaining great bowel health-Eat a bowl of shredded mini-wheats as the last thing of the night. When you wake in the morning the bowels should have started pushing its contents to the door. Eating the frosted ones through out the day as a snack will go along way to make you feel full and stimulate good bowel function.
- Physical activity will cause a few bodily reactions, too. Taking a brisk walk will stimulate the lower half of the body. The intestines are greatly affected by rhythmic motion. The natural sway of the hips during a brisk walk gives the intestines an internal massage, which stimulates the intestines natural rhythmic contractions.
If you have recovered or don’t want to experience:
- Drink a half gallon or more of water a day. You will need to go to the bathroom, a lot. Time your subsequent consumption with going to the bathroom. Meaning drink water every time you go to the bath room. This will train the elimination cycle.
- Heed the call of Nature, For sure. If you have to go, GO. The body knows how and when to eliminate. When you tell your body that it is not time to go on a repeated basis , it will train the body to go against its own natural flow.
- The same maneuver to cure is the method to prevent. Consume more fiber-Try eating fruit daily, and at the very least a real apple or real apple juice. Apple has a very high concentration of fiber even in juice form, especially cider or cider vinegar.
- Change your Potty position. Before the invention of the modern water closet. Humans squatted to evacuate bowels and bladder. Since the invention of the toilet, improper potty posture renders a certain amount of bowel obstruction daily. This repeat impediment causes the feces to slowly build up in the intestines.
- If going during the day is not possible then you will have to train your system to go at home. Make your own routine but eliminate at least once a day and optimally one for every major meal you consume in a day.
Relieving constipation and more importantly preventing it should be apart of your lifestyle not an option. Not only is it uncomfortable and exhausting, constipation can lead to other medical conditions that are even harder to gain recovery. One such condition is hemorrhoids which if serious enough can lead to surgery. Prevention rather than cure is really the optimum scenario. Getting rid of constipation is as easy as eating tasty high fiber dried fruit and drinking plenty of water or a flavorful tea on a daily basis.
Have a Happy Healthy Day!